The Saadian tombs belong mainly to the 16th century, dominated by koubbas to indicate the burial grounds of members of the Saadian royal family. In 1677, when Moulay Ismail took control of Marrakech, he sealed the area off with a high protective wall.
The tombs were a century ago so destroyed that it had to be an aerial photo that revealed their whereabouts. The restoration has brought them a position of being one of the main attractions of the medina area.
There are two main mausoleums here, the finest was built to house Ahmad al-Mansur, the second was built for his mother, Lalla Messaouda. The mausoleum of al-Mansur is made up of three small halls, and 66 children, wives and concubines of the royal family were buried here. Right outside, there are about 100 more tombs.
The mihrab here is especially noteworthy, being of great artistic value.
Entrance is 10dh, open every day 8.30-11.45 and 14.30-17.45.