Bookmark and Share



























Open the online Arabic language course






Open map of MoroccoFlag of MoroccoMorocco / Cities and Towns /
Sidi Ifni
Arabic: īfnīPlay sound





Open street map

Sidi ifni

Sidi Ifni, Morocco.
ZOOM - Open a large version of this image

Former Spanish consulate in Sidi Ifni. Photo: Dale Harvey

Sidi Ifni, Morocco.
ZOOM - Open a large version of this image

Spanish mansion in Sidi Ifni. Photo: Dale Harvey

Sidi Ifni, Morocco.
ZOOM - Open a large version of this image

Photo: Walter Rodriguez

Travel information from
LookLex / Morocco
1000 sqm of Spain
Spanish town
Place Hassan 2 or Plaza de España
The beach

Town in Morocco with 15,000 inhabitants, situated in the south of the country, at the Atlantic Ocean.
The economic base of the town is fishing. The town square is still completely dominated by Spanish architecture, built from 1934 and onwards.

History
1476: Occupied by Spain.
1524: Recaptured by the Moroccan Saadien rulers.
1860: As part of the Treaty of Tangier, Sidi Ifni is back on Spanish hands.
1934: The Spanish take full possession of Sidi Ifni.
1950s: 60% of the population is Spanish.
1966: Negotiations between Spain and Morocco over the status of Sidi Ifni, starts.
1969: The Spanish leave Sidi Ifni, and the town and its surrounding area becomes part of Morocco.




By Tore Kjeilen