Bookmark and Share



























Open the online Arabic language course






Open map of IsraelFlag of IsraelIsrael / Cities and Towns
Petah Tiqwa
Hebrew: petach tikvah
Other spellings: Petach; Tikva, Tiqva





Open street map

Petah Tiqwa

Petah Tiqwa, Israel.
ZOOM - Open a large version of this image

Petah Tiqwa, Israel.

City in central Israel with 195,000 inhabitants (2008 estimate), being part of the metropolitan Tel Aviv.
Petah Tiqwa is heavily industrialized, the second most in Israel after Haifa. Its industries specialize in textile and paper milling, processed food, distilling, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, electrical equipment, high technology industries, machineries, metal and rubber products, furniture, oils and soaps, and cement.
Local agriculture is also of importance, producing citrus and grapes for wine. Limestone is also quarried nearby.
Petah Tiqwa, being an important industrial centre, has excellent infrastructure, and quick access to all other urban centres in Israel. Tel Aviv centre is 20 km southwest, Haifa 80 km north and Jerusalem 65 km southeast.
Close to Petah Tiqwa is the ancient Aphek, mentioned in the Bible and Ancient Egyptian texts, a Canaanite city.
Petah Tiqwa is Hebrew for 'Gate of Hope'.

History
1878: Petah Tiqwa is founded by Jews of Jerusalem, as the first modern Jewish agricultural settlement in Palestine. It proved to be a difficult project, with insufficient agricultural knowledge among the settlers, and the area being swampy and malarial. Soon it is abandoned.
1882: Petah Tiqwa is resettled, and many eucalyptus trees are planted for drainage.
1939: Petah Tiqwa is incorporated as a city.




By Tore Kjeilen