Yemen / Cities and Towns /
Other spelling: Mocca
Village with about 15,000 inhabitants (2005 estimate) lying on the southern tip of Yemen, near the entrance to the Red Sea.
Mukha is mainly known for its historical past, where it was the shipping port of high quality coffee to Europe. In the 17th and 18th centuries it was a city of great wealth, but today it has been surpassed by other port cities of Yemen, like Aden and Hudayda, as well as by other coffee exporting countries.
Mukha of today is a small fishing village with little economic importance, and where most buildings from its great past has fallen in.
Alternative spellings for Mukha, are Mocha, Mocca and Mokka. The first of these is the most correct.
14th century: Mukha is founded. It is believed to have been by Shaykh Sadhili, who is supposed to be the one that introduced coffee drinking to Arabia.
15th century: Mukha starts to become an important port, not only for coffee but also for myrrh.
16th century: The first European trading establishments, at first only by the British. Later the Dutch, Danes and French followed.
1618: The first coffee factories are built by the British and Dutch. More nations were to come.
1636: Mukha comes under the control of the Yemeni Imam Muhammad 1.
Around 1630: Coffee prices rise to such a level that the merchants of Mukha become very, very rich. Great palaces are erected all over the city.
Early 18th century: The monoply is broken! The coffee plant has been smuggled out of Yemen, and plantations are put up in Ceylon, Indonesia and South America.
1839: The British captures Aden. As they moved most of the trade to this port, and other nations joined them, a period of fast decline followed for Mukha. The city was never to return to former glory.
1849: Captured by the Ottomans.
1918: Becomes part of independent (North) Yemen.
1965: A road to Ta'izz is opened.