Algeria / Cities and Towns /
Other spelling: Tihert
City in north-central Algeria with 160,000 inhabitants (2005 estimate), along the Wadi Tiaret, on the slopes of the Guezoul Mountain at an elevation of 1,050 metres.
Unusual design for a mosque.
Djedar, a step pyramid.
It is the capital of Tiaret province with 810,000 inhabitants (2005 estimate) and an area of 20,673 km².
Tiaret is primarily an agricultural city, thriving from a cool climate and good supplies of water. Agriculture is dominated by the production of cereals, but there is also much livestock raising, and the region is famous for its purebred Arabian horses.
Tiaret is well-connected with other urban centres by both rail and road. It lies 210 km southwest of Algiers.
Tiaret has a Byzantine citadel. Out of town are a group of noteworthy step pyramids with square foundations, called Djedar, which were up to 30 metres high. These were probably used as tombs by Christian Berber princes in the 6th and 7th centuries.
Tiaret has a university centre.
Is an important city during the Roman period, known as Tingartia.
4th century: Becomes the capital of the Byzantine province of northwestern Algeria.
6th century: Becomes the capital of a Berber kingdom.
7th century: Conquered by the Arab Muslims, and becomes known as Tagdempt.
761: Conquered by Abu r-Rahman, and made into the capital of his Ibadi kingdom.
9th century: The Fatimids take control of Tiaret, driving the Ibadis south in order to form a new state at Ouargla.
13th century: Becomes part of the state of the Berber Zianid dynasty.
16th century: Comes under Ottoman control.
1843: The French take control of Tiaret.
1863: A new French town is created to the north of the walled Muslim town.