Islam / Cult and Festivals /
In Islam, what is defined as core actions for the believer.
- Shahada, the creed stating that "There is no God but God, and Muhammad is his messenger".
- Salat, the prayer which is to be performed five times a day. This prayer is performed after strict rules: bending and uttering phrases from the Koran, as well as facing the direction towards the ka'bain Mecca.
- Zakat, alms. This is a prescription which is practiced in very different ways in Islam today.
- Sawm, fast during the month of Ramadan.
- Hajj, pilgrimage to Mecca. This an obligation for all Muslims in good health and sufficiently good economic situation.